In this super-sized special episode, we take a closer look at Teachmeets, a free-to-all form of collaborative professional development for teachers. Cameron reports from Teachmeet English at the Wharf on November 1st, with interviews and presentations from the night.
Show notes and time-code
00:00 – Intro and Welcome
01:52 – Education in the news
- Principals in Victoria ‘horrified’ by new teacher evaluation processes that allow only 60-80% of teachers will be expected to be successful.
- AEU to take Vic Govt to court over teacher evaluations.
- Some schools in WA lose over $100,000 funding in new cuts to schools
- Victorian Government plans increases in Teach for Australia graduates, and introduces guidelines for dealing with ‘misbehaving parents’.
- More than 200 schools in NSW to lose funding in 2014 under new funding model.
11:50 – Interview with Matt Esterman (@mesterman)
35:10 – Discussion about Teachmeet
42:50 – Gabrielle Trinca (@GabrielleTrinca) and Bhavneet Singh (@Bhavneetsingh12), organisers of Teadchmeets in Western Australia (@wapln & #tmwa)
51:06 – Jenny Ashby (@jjash), k-6 teacher.
56:13 – John Saunders, Education Manager at Sydney Theatre Company
58:41 – Stephanie Adan (@stephyadan), President of Macquarie University Education Society
01:02:00 – Suzie Riddell (@suzieriddell) from Social Ventures Australia on research into supporting beginning teachers.
01:07:10 – Persuasive Texts from Rod Yule (@rod_yule) from World Vision Australia
01:16:00 – Instagram as a Learning Space from Jeanette James (@7mrsjames)
01:19:43 – Tools for Literacy from Melanie Douglas (@mellonknee) and Manvir Singh (@meh123)
01:29:20 – Audio recording in the classroom from Cameron Malcher (@capitan_typo)
01:38:50 – Wrap up with Matt Esterman
01:42:50 – Competition: Name the educator! Now with extra clues…
01:44:00 – Sign off and closing credits